How to adapt to Squad 2.0

Gondorian
Command

How to adapt to Squad 2.0

Post by Gondorian » Tue May 31, 2016 3:26 pm

Many of us have been playing for a very long time and we are used to a certain kind of way to play.

We focus on a capital, we end 10 battles in a row with 18 of us in each battle running over some random players. Then we have 2 battles against a full enemy veteran team. We take the capital, repeat.

Frankly, it was 2 options:
1. Run over some noobs
2. Run into nothing but MG42's

IMO quite often neither one was very enjoyable.

There are a few things we need to change about our mentality:

- Smaller teams

We should no longer try to join battles in mass, a group of 6 DB players can already make a huge difference.
We will lose more often than we did before, but if we can keep a 70%-80% victory ratio, we have a huge impact on the war.

- Focus

Do not put your focus on a capital city, focus on just a small area of the map. Try to take some towns in a certain area, put your focus on a town that can easily be defended for example.

- Randoms

We need to work with the randoms, We need to entrust them with certain tasks, drive a tank, fly a plane etc. They won't be as good as we are, they will lose more tanks than we would, but we need to put some faith in them, or we will never be able to win anything at all.

- Random battles

As much as we have always hated the 'enter combat' button, if you do not have AT's, press it. Sometimes you will get into a good battle, sometimes you don't. When you have poor supplies, do not just leave the randoms to die. Fight there but change your objectives. If you are assaulting with nothing than infantry, go camp. Try to take out some tanks, try to make it a miserable victory for the enemy.

Truly I have played many battles so far, most of them have decent ping and are simply a lot of fun to play. Squad 2.0 may force us to play differently, but different does not have to be bad.I personally enjoy squad 2.0 I think it's good clans can't steamroll noobs anymore by joining with 18 guys in a single battle. It needs some adjustments, mostly in regards of how many points it costs to add squad members to your squad (so that you have more points left for auxillery) but overall, I like the system.

takis7
Veteran Member

Re: How to adapt to Squad 2.0

Post by takis7 » Tue May 31, 2016 5:13 pm

Well those noobs that get steamrolled that i always hear about should not be there at all.

Most of them join with mm which shows that they dont really care about a particular battle but just to play whatever possible.I dont feel sorry for anyone using mm whrn he gets steamrolled.

Also the rank 5 required to join campaign map is nothing.You still have no idea about the game at rank 5.
But yet they join key city battles and they expect what?Balance in ranks?

Also 6 DBs taking a city alone is not easy.Depends on map,lines and enemy vets or clans that might join also.

Usually at least from my experience 2 dbs defend, 4 attack and 12 randoms hide behind a tree.

Anyway until they fix at least the ping issue we cant play or test anything.At least i cant.
When they fix it i quess then we start trying things out on campaign map.

Groitgard
Noob

Post by Groitgard » Tue May 31, 2016 7:32 pm

While there are positives, and I hope they improve on them, I really dislike the system as is. With the majority of people at 3-4 slots in their squad, its disintegrating any cohesion and joy of playing with clan/friends. Right now I am sitting in vent staring at a forum instead of playing as there were five of us and only four slots open between our ribbons. It honestly feels a bit like a money grab having the need for both ribbons to be grinded for a decent squad size.

yatu
Noob

Post by yatu » Tue May 31, 2016 8:27 pm

6 coordinated DBs can make a huge difference. The emphasis here is on coordinated.

Even though Devyatev build pretty much brought chaos, Squad 2.0 wont actually be so bad, when finally optimized.
I think of it as a possibility.
Before the update, we more or less waltzed through every battle. But given the massive size of our teams, we were a rather uncoordinated bunch. It did work and we won, but it could have been better - it is just hard to work together as a team when there is 10 to 18 people to coordinate.
But now, our teams are smaller and so we can coordinate our actions far better and work together on a smaller scale.

Long story short: I think it is time that we start playing together in more or less set teams and practice some simple tactics. For example where to position each team member when capturing specific points on the map, how to move as a squad, storm a room, etc.

That's probably just my idealistic, dreamy oppinion - or is it? What do you think?

Pimmeh
Veteran Member

Post by Pimmeh » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:28 pm

To answer the question: alt + f4

Hwiccian
Noobier

Post by Hwiccian » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:26 pm

I like Reto's intentions with Squad 2. It is a big change and I think some people just need to get their heads around what it means for game play from now on. I only have 2 AT's at the moment, so that's only really two battles I can take a squad into. I would love a huge amount of ATs like some of you veterans, you could spread them along a whole front and commit here and there, where you think needed, taking in your squads (wether you lead or not).

I agree that Rank 5 is too low I think they should raise it a lot, 9 at least, that's where you qualify for the last career (except general), personally I'd prefer Rank 12+ only in the War battles.

For me, I loved the idea of 'hiding' in a big group. Doing what I was told, quietly and hopefully competently but Squad 2 has obviously changed that.

I am glad this thread has been created, time for us to get positive. If you are really against Squad 2, so much so that you cant play now then fine, but let those of us who want to adapt to it and give it a chance, have a chance.

Thanks.

Pimmeh
Veteran Member

Post by Pimmeh » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:43 am

I joined the game now, I just want to play 1 or 2 matches on the map.

Impossible cause I need ats, I need this I need that, all kinds of bullshit. Its no way I can get positive about this

takis7
Veteran Member

Post by takis7 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:54 am

Play staged axis.Its more fun than anything on broken campaign map atm.

Or staged ptrd!!!

Hwiccian
Noobier

Post by Hwiccian » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:47 pm

Ok, maybe if you can't be positive about Squad 2.0 then start a thread to moan and whine and let those of us who would like to talk about how we adapt to Squad 2.0 carry on.

Hwiccian
Noobier

Post by Hwiccian » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:24 am

Update for 2.0 has been introduced. Fixes some of the squad issues but we'll still have to adapt how we organise the war.

http://forum.heroesandgenerals.com/view ... 63&t=77005

Regards